Recently, I wanted to cook something vegan, so I needed to use vegan sour cream. I researched and found that it is easy to make homemade vegan sour cream from cashew nuts. Actually, cashew sour cream is vegan milk with only a bit of water and left a bit thicker, not diluted until it gets the consistency of milk. This way, it is easy and quick to make your own homemade vegan sour cream from cashew nuts.
Cashew sour cream is easy and quick to make and you only need a few ingredients: cashew nuts, salt, lemon, and water. Actually, it takes only a bit to prepare it, but the entire process takes at least four hours.
You need to leave the cashew nuts in water for at least 4 hours or, even better, during the night. This way, you’ll get a creamier cashew sour cream. However, if you are in a hurry, you may leave the cashew nuts in water for less time, but you need to use warm water to soften them.
Cashew nuts are a bit expensive, but they are filled with nutrients that are important for the body. They contain protein and minerals like copper, magnesium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and vitamins such as group B, C, E and K vitamins. They are also rich in oleic acid and monosaturated fats. Hence, consuming cashew nuts helps to prevent the occurring of diabetes, reduces the risk of anemia, protects the sight, and reduces the risk of occurring of the cataract, fortifies the muscles, and prevents the occurring of cardiovascular diseases, reducing the cholesterol percentage in blood.
Cashew sour cream – the best homemade vegan sour cream
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Recipe type: Sauces
Serves: one portion
- 200 grams of raw cashew nuts
- 300 ml of water (warm)
- 150 ml of plain water
- a bit of salt
- the juice from a half of lemon
Preparation method of cashew sour cream
- Put the cashew nuts in 300 ml of water and let them soften for at least 4 hours, but better for the night. If you are in a hurry, put them in warm water, not cold.
- After 4 hours, get them out of the water, drain them and place them into the blender.
- Pour 150 ml of water, the salt, and the lemon juice and mix well until they become a creamy paste, with the consistency of thick sour cream.
- Tips: if you want thinner sour cream, you may add a bit of extra water.
- Put it into a jar to the fridge for a maximum of 3 days.
You may use the homemade vegan cashew sour cream in different fasting meals or vegan meals.