Milk soy easy homemade vegan mayonnaise
Vegan mayonnaise is a healthier alternative to classic mayonnaise made from eggs and oil. It is also cholesterol-free and you only need 4 ingredients to make it. Not saying it’s ready in only 2 minutes, with a minimum of effort.
There are many types of vegan mayonnaise. One of them is this homemade vegan mayonnaise made from soy milk. Why soy milk? Because it has a similar consistency to cow’s milk. As you probably know, mayonnaise can be made not only from eggs but also from cow’s milk.
To make vegan mayonnaise you need, as I said before, only 4 basic ingredients: soy milk, lemon juice, salt, and oil. Optionally you can use a teaspoon of mustard to give mayonnaise a different flavor.
You can use whatever type of oil you want, but I recommend you to use plain vegetable oil because it doesn’t change the taste of the mayonnaise. For example, if you use olive oil, it will affect the flavor of the product you obtain.
If you don’t have lemon juice or you don’t like it, you can use apple cider vinegar instead.
There are 2 important things to remember when you want to make soy milk homemade mayonnaise are:
- the milk and the oil must be at the same temperature. They can either be at room temperature or be from the fridge.
- the mayonnaise is easier and faster to make with an immersion blender
Due to the fact that it contains a lot of oil, I can’t say it’s totally a healthy food, so I recommend you to eat it occasionally. You can be sure it’s healthier than the one bought from the store, which is full of additives and preservatives.
- 120 ml milk soy (1 cup)
- 220 ml sunflower seed oil (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- sea salt to taste
- a pinch of turmeric powder (optional, for the color)
How to prepare milk soy easy homemade vegan mayonnaise
- Combine all the ingredients and put them in the blender cup.
- Put the immersion blender in to touch the end of the cup.
- Pulse until the mayonnaise emulsifies so than you can move the blender up and down to better incorporate the oil.
- You can also use a regular blender. In this case place the soy milk, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and turmeric in a bowl and add the oil gradually while you blend the content. Do this until it starts to emulsify.
- Add more salt if you need, or turmeric if you want it to look more yellow.
- If you consider it is to thick add more milk and if it’s more watery you can add more oil. You will need to pulse again to incorporate the oil or the milk.
- The soy milk mayonnaise can be kept in the fridge for 3 to 4 days in a sealed container.