This hedgehog chocolate cookies recipe is a reinterpretation of a classic, old recipe called hedgehog cookies. Exactly as the traditional recipe, this is a simple one and you can easily do it. This recipe is perfect for festive meals, such as holidays, but you can indeed to it at any time, when you want to bake something delicious.
The hedgehog chocolate cookies are easy and quickly to bake and, if you have kids, you can allow them to help you with this recipe. They’ll be super content with modeling the balls for the hedgehog cookies or to place the chocolate in middle of these balls before adding them to the oven.
Hedgehog chocolate cookies
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Author of recipe: Claudia
Recipe type: dessert
Serves: a tray
- 150 grams butter with 65% grease
- 1 big egg
- 70 grams powder sugar
- 185 grams white flour
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- A teaspoon vanilla essence
- 150 grams nut core
Preparation method for hedgehog chocolate cookies
- Separate yolk from whites
- Over the yolk, add the powder sugar and rub until it gets completely smooth, then add the butter (at room’s temperature) and mix everything well with the help of a mixer for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla essence, flour and salt and mix everything, incorporating the flour until you get a soft dough, like play dough, easy to model, but that doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Give the dough a rounded shape, wrap it in food foil and put it to cold (in the refrigerator) for at least one hour. The butter will harden and the balls for cookies will be easier to form.
- Meanwhile, you need to roast the nut thick. Don’t roast it too soft, as thicker it will look better when stick to the whites.
- Light the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and get the tray ready with baking paper.
- Beat well the whites with the help of a fork.
- Get the dough out from the refrigerator and break small pieces of it, the size of a nut, which you will form into a rounded, ball-shape.
- Get the balls through the whites and then roll them through the nuts, and then place them on the tray.
- Cut the chocolate cube into small pieces.
- With your finger, make a hole in the middle of every cookie, while it is not yet baked, and then place small pieces of chocolate in the holes.
- Add the tray to the oven for about 20-25 minutes, depending on your oven’s power.
- When they turn brown and their inferior side is colored, they are ready.
- After the cookies are baked, you need to remove them from the tray and place them on a serving plate or tray. You can serve them per se or powdered with powder sugar.
Enjoy baking your hedgehog chocolate cookies and, of course, eating them!